Saturday, May 9, 2009

Bees




Have you ever stopped and watched some bees? I would guess that most folks would say, no. Dave and I were at the mentoring bee class today and hung out, learned and watched the bees. These guys are drinking. You can actually see their proboscis. The long pointy snout thing from which they are drinking.



Dave and I are splitting his hive. He aquired the bees last Saturday and today is the first day that he opened them up. We were all decked out in our bee suits, well he was. I had a cool veil and gloves. I'm not ready to go bare handed yet.

When the hive is opened up the buzzing is SO pronounced. They are such amazing little creatures. To see that many bees coming in and out of the hive, and to hear them is really neat! Most people might disagree but I think it's neat. No animals were hurt in taking these photos and no humans were stung. This disclaimer is brought to you courtesy of Whole Grain Farm.


No comments: