Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bread Time



Finally, here's a bread posting. For this recipe I used half hard red and half hard white wheat berries. That's for those of you that make your own flour. Currently, my favorite book on bread is "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day", by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. Check out their web site HERE to see the recipes and techniques or order the book. For this recipe I used the Challah bread. But of course I made my own variation. For the rolls I rolled them out flat and added some filling.





Filling: Inspired from Arabic Bites

1/4 cup raisens
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1 tsp cooled tea (or rose water)
shake of cinnamon
1/8 tsp cardimom
1 Tablespoon sugar



Sprinkle filling over the dough and then roll up dough into a log. Then I cut the log into a 6 inch rope and twist into bun. This gets brushed with egg wash and then set aside to raise about 20-45 minutes. Then it gets another egg wash then sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds over the rolls and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Yummy! This is quickly becoming one of my husbands most requested breads.

No comments: